HVAC Technician Defense - The License Lawyers

HVAC Technician License Attorney Defense

HVAC technicians are an essential part of the Connecticut economy. They can install, maintain, and repair indoor climate control systems. They work with heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration. Working as an HVAC technician can be a very rewarding job, but it does require a substantial amount of commitment and effort in order to obtain a license. On this page, I will describe the various types of HVAC technicians, how to obtain licenses for each, and how to ensure that you can keep your license once you get it.

Classifications of HVAC Technician Licenses

There are three main categories of HVAC technician license as defined by the Department of Consumer Protection in Connecticut. They are the “B licenses,” which include a gas and burner licenses, the “D licenses” for conditioning, warm air, refrigeration, and cooling, and the “S licenses,” for Cooling, heating, piping, hot water, and steam licenses. These classifications are further broken down as follows:

  • B-1 and B-2: Those with these licenses are limited to the service, repair, and installation of oil or gas burners for light commercial or domestic use.
  • B-3 and B-4: Those with these licenses can service, repair, and install all oil and gas burners.
  • D-1 and D-2: People with these classifications of license can repair, install, replace, alter, and maintain refrigeration and air conditioning systems.
  • D-3 and D-4: People with these licenses can repair, install, replace, alter, and maintain all refrigeration systems.
  • G-1 and G-2: Those with these types of licenses can repair, install, replace, alter, and maintain approved gas appliances and gas piping systems.
  • S-1 and S-2: People with these types of licenses can repair, install, replace, alter, and maintain boilers and heating systems.
  • S-5 and S-10: those with these licenses can work on steam heating systems and hot water systems for some types of buildings.

Obtaining Your License

As with some other professions, there are two options for these licenses – being licensed as a journeryperson or being licensed as a contractor. In order to get a journeyperson license, you need to complete an apprenticeship. To become a contractor, you need to work as a licensed journeyperson for at least two years.

Once you meet these requirements, you can apply for the license that you want by filling out a form and by taking a licensing exam. Licenses are approved by the Department of Consumer Protection and they are overseen by the Heating, Cooling, Piping and Sheet Metal Work Board.

Protecting Your License

Once you obtain an HVAC technician license, you will be regulated and monitored by the Board. If you display any issues such as professional misconduct, substance abuse, participation in crime, etc. the Board may investigate your business and your license. They will then determine if additional action should be taken against you. If you find yourself in this position, don’t panic. Instead, contact a professional license defense lawyer in Connecticut to help you through this process and defend your license. I am happy to do this for you, simply contact me to learn more.