Food and Beverage Defense - The License Lawyers

Food and Beverage License Attorney Defense

Are you interested in getting into the food and beverage industry in Connecticut? While a new business venture can be an exciting opportunity, there are some rules and regulations that you need to follow in order to obtain the correct license and follow Connecticut’s laws. You can learn more about food and beverage licenses, how to obtain them, and how to keep them, on this page.

Food and Beverage Licenses

There are many different types of food and beverage licenses in Connecticut. They include:

  • Vending machine operator license.
  • Bakery license.
  • Non-alcoholic beverage manufacturer license.
  • Apple cider and juice manufacturer license.
  • Cottage food operation license.
  • Frozen dessert wholesaler license.
  • Frozen dessert retailer license.
  • Egg distributor license.
  • Food establishment license.
  • Item price exemption.
  • Food warehouse registration license.

Getting a Food and Beverage License

These licenses can be obtained by filling out a paper application form. You can also apply online. You will have to pay an application fee as well.

Those with food and beverage licenses are overseen by the Department of Consumer Protection. There is a Food and Standards Division that is in charge of grating applications as well as disciplining licenses.

If you want to apply for a food manufacturing establishment license, you need to meet the following requirements:

  • You need to get zoning approval in the town where the establishment will be located.
  • You must obtain food safety training certification.
  • If you are on a water well, you must have a water analysis done of your water source annually.
  • If you have a shared facility, you need to prove that you have permission to use a shared kitchen.
  • You need to bee registered with the FDA and follow the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
  • In some cases, you need approval from your local health department.
  • If producing wholesale foods, you need an FME license.

Renewing Your License

Keep in mind that you are not completely done once you obtain a food and beverage license. You will need to renew this license and make sure that you comply with the Department of Consumer Protection’s rules and regulations so that you can keep a valid license. If your food and beverage license is nearing its expiration date, you will be notified within 30-45 days before it expires. You should receive this notice either by mail or by email. This should give you plenty of time to renew your license and continue your business. You will have the option to renew your license by mail or online. Also keep in mind that renewal and reinstatement for some licenses has been impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic. Emergency laws surrounding Covid-19 may change the timeline for renewal or reinstatement. You can contact me to learn more about your specific situation.

Protecting Your License

Once you obtain your license, you do not want to lose it! Contact me and I can outline the regulations that you need to follow in order to avoid a suspension or another penalty against your food and beverage license. If you do face a complaint or an investigation, contact me to protect your license and your livelihood.