Connecticut Departments That Regulate Professional Licenses

Connecticut Licensing Agencies and License Attorney Defense

The Department of Administrative Services is a Connecticut agency that primarily oversees contracts with the state, the state government, real estate, and human resources. In the context of professional licenses, the DAS is known for granting licenses, certifications, and permits for buildings and construction. You can learn more about the DAS and other departments on this page.

What is the DAS?

The DAS enforces the State Building Code and within the DAS, the Office of the State Building Inspector (OSBI) regulates elevators, escalators, boilers, and hot water heaters. The OSBI certifies and inspects the construction of these and inspects licensees. The Office of the State Fire Marshal is within the DAS and responsible for enforcing standards and regulations on fires and preventing explosions and mechanical failures. The DAS also licenses Building Code Enforcement Officials and Fire Officials and oversees the education required for these licenses. 

The DAS has a construction contractor prequalification program that requires contractors to prequalify before being allowed to bid on construction projects. This program oversees contracts for work on construction, reconstruction, remodeling, repairs, demolition, and alterations. The DAS works with the Department of Transportation to oversee construction projects with state funds. 

What is the DEEP?

There are several other agencies that oversee permits and licenses such as the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP). This agency provides licenses for projects involving the air, land, waste, or water. DEEP issues permits for outdoor recreation and natural resources use, as well as public utilities. This department oversees licenses for camping, use of state parks, boating, camping, fishing, and hunting.

The department also issues professional licenses for those working in wastewater treatment and pesticide application. Within DEEP, there is an office of adjudications that conducts hearings and makes decisions on environmental permits, licenses, and environmental laws. The adjudicators follow the Uniform Administrative Procedures Act and its own rules of practice. The Office of Adjudications also offers mediation services for setting disputes without hearings

What is the Department of Education?

The Department of Education has authority over teachers for adults, children, and special education. Those who are certified as an educator in Connecticut are certified and overseen by the department’s Office of Certification. The State Board of Education supervises and controls all forms of education and establishes policies, legislative proposals, academic standards for teachers, and manages funds. 

What is the DOT?

The Department of Transportation (DOT) oversees those who contract to do construction on roads, highways, and bridges in Connecticut. DOT has a very strict code of ethics that all DOT employees must adhere to. Violations of the DOT ethics are overseen by the DOT Ethics Compliance Officer and the Office of State Ethics. The Department has the authority to subject employees to sanctions and review allegations. DOT can also give disciplinary action and execute dismissals to employees that do not comply with the code. 

It is important to remember that all of these departments and agencies work together overseeing different areas of the workforce and individuals working in different areas. If you are unsure of which agency oversees your line of work, you can search for your profession on If you or someone you know is licensed or certified through DAS, DEEP, the Department of Education, or DOT and you are facing disciplinary action of any kind, call us to get more information and see how we can help you.